Camp Yavneh, a co-ed overnight Jewish camp located in Northwood, NH serving over 500 campers each summer seeks an Athletic and Fitness Director/Rosh Sport to join our Leadership Team and to help lead our Athletics and Fitness department. The Athletic and Fitness Director is supported by a strong staff including an Athletic and Fitness Specialist, sports counselors, and sport-specific specialists.
Yavneh is proud of our tradition and spirit in our approach to sports and athletics and seek a sports leader who can help us develop a strong sports program including skill building, challenge activities. The right candidate will believe that while winning is important it is not always the end result that we are seeking. Yavneh’s philosophy on finding the unique talents and strengths of our community is just as important.
Yavneh creates a community in which people have the opportunity to engage and challenge each other through interpersonal connections. This deepens their own understanding of Jewish life and tradition while helping them gain an appreciation for, and understanding of, alternative points of view concerning observance and philosophy.
- Coaching athletics at K-12 or college level, mandatory. Camp experience preferred.
- Strong sports background (participant/administrator/coach)
- Proven ability to lead games and sports activities for children of all ages (teacher certification a plus)
- Strong organizational skills
- CPR/First Aid/AED certified
- Supervisory role of coaches and/or teachers
Qualities Needed For This Position:
- Energetic, dynamic, motivated and well-organized individual who has a good sense of humor, a passion for children and sports, and is flexible in nature
Prior to Camp:
- Assist in recruiting, interviewing and preparing coaches and sport specific specialists.
- Set expectations for the summer on skill building by sport and age level.
- Participate in pre-camp planning conference calls with senior staff aimed at developing a plan for the Athletics & Fitness department for the summer.
- Responsible for ordering equipment and supplies and ensuring that sports equipment and facilities are properly cared for, secured and maintained.
- Teach and coach specific sports
- Train and supervise sports staff.
- Create and implement programs for campers in both sports and fitness. These programs will include: skills building, team building, inter-camp team competitions and general fitness instruction.
- Coordinate daily with programming staff regarding activities and schedule changes
- Establish and execute skill development curriculum, coaching and philosophy with senior staff.
- In partnership with the Head of Education.
- Create an environment among the campers of team camaraderie, mutual encouragement and good sportsmanship, and assist in creating a seamless integration of Jewish values curriculum as it pertains to sports in line with the Jewish values at the core of the camp mission.
- Ensure that athletic equipment is set up, broken down and maintained in concert with sports staff.
- Oversee, coach and officiate sports teams and tournaments and teach counselors to do the same.
- Develop and implement NEW and innovative sports classes and special events.
- Maintain positive relationships and communication with members of the camp community.
- Be part of the leadership team of camp, therefore engaged in other areas of leadership activities in camp.
- Serve as a member of camp senior leadership. Attend planning meetings. Participate in formulation and implementation of camp sports policies.
- Willing to accept responsibilities other than those assigned.
This position is resident at camp in New Hampshire for 8 weeks, additionally, participation is required in regular conference calls, occasional meetings and yearly Winter Leadership Staff Retreat during the school year.
This position will pay competitively. To apply, please send cover letter and CV to Bil Zarch, Director, at email@example.com